Selling Soap, Smashing Sexism with Rabbi Mike Rothbaum
Learn about the groundbreaking work of Jewish artist Barbara Kruger with 2014 Twersky Award Finalist Rabbi Mike Rothbaum of Oakland, CA. Examine student work and participate in some of the activities from his award-winning lesson entitled “Selling Soap, Smashing Sexism, Seeing Ourselves.” Learn more about JWA’s Twersky Award.
Session Materials and Handouts
- PowerPoint presentation (Includes several art pieces and examples of student work.)
Featured Lesson Plan and Resources
- Rabbi Mike's lesson plan, “Selling Soap, Smashing Sexism, Seeing Ourselves”
- Background information about Barbara Kruger in JWA's profiles section and encyclopedia
- More about midrash from MyJewishLearning.com
Additional Education Materials about Midrash and Art
Continue your exploration of midrash, art, body image, and pop culture with any of the following Go & Learn guides. Each includes three lesson plans—one for youth, one for family education, and one for adult learning groups.
- Lilith Evolved: Writing Midrash
- Tefillin Barbie: Considering Gender and Ritual Garb
- Wrestling with God and Jewish Tradition
- Queen Esther and Bella Abzug: Costumes, Leadership, and Identity
More about the Natalia Twersky Educator Award
The Natalia Twersky Educator Award honors and celebrates inspiring educators who use primary sources to integrate the stories of Jewish women into their teaching. Eligible applicants may apply for the award or be nominated by a supervisor, colleague, student, parent, or community member.
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Selling Soap, Smashing Sexism with Rabbi Mike Rothbaum." (Viewed on November 14, 2019) <https://qa.jwa.org/teach/profdev/webinars/2015/twerskymike>.