While Shulamit Goldstein is distinguished as Israel’s first female pilot, the arc of her long life echoes the changes in Israeli society. Born Shulamit Gorengut, Goldstein made Aliyah with her family at age nine, in 1923. Upon finishing high school, she joined the Irgun (a militant group advocating a Jewish state free of British rule) and at their encouragement traveled to Egypt in 1932 to learn to fly. She returned to Israel in 1936, and after the fight for Israeli independence, she studied at the Teacher Training College in Tel Aviv and began teaching nursery school in Givat Adah in 1942. She married Dr. Rudolph Goldstein, a chemist, and moved to Binyaminah, where she continued to teach. The couple began a poultry farm in 1948, and when Rudolph became chief instructor in poultry raising for the Ministry of Agriculture, Shulamit Goldstein ran the farm. In 1957 they moved to Cyprus, where she ran Bellapais Hatcheries, the largest hatchery in the Middle East. Two years later, she returned to Israel to study fiberglass, then created a workshop in Cyprus building fiberglass boat parts and chicken hatcheries. When her husband died in 1968, Goldstein returned to Israel, where she taught English at the Pardes Hannah agricultural school.
More on Shulamit Goldstein
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Shulamit Goldstein." (Viewed on January 27, 2020) <https://qa.jwa.org/people/goldstein-shulamit>.